Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Sewing Machine Table Redo




I inherited a sewing machine from my old friend, Barbara



The machine belonged to her mother, so I knew it was ancient.    Turns out it was made in 1926 and the machine alone sold for about $60.00.   That doesn't seem like much until you consider the wages back in the day - the machine would have cost a few months' wages.   For frugal Yankees, this was not an impulse purchase.

Here it is in its former state - a lovely table that needed a bit of TLC.   The veneer on the top had split and some was missing , and the metal base was rusted in spots.  But the drawers were gorgeous, the metal base all intact and the top salvageable.





I started ( with the help of The Captain) by taking out the machine  and all the other guts - springs, cords, and the wooden casing that housed the machine.  I wanted to make the table as sleek as possible, so the front decorative board and the one of the top center boards had to go.

I was able to pry off most of the peeling veneer.   The rest of the veneer was in reasonable shape - a few patches with wood filler smoothed out where I had chipped off some of the loose stuff.

The metal base was in good shape - a few rusty spots that cleaned up well with a stiff metal brush.    I sprayed it with  charcoal gray paint - love the dark gray , almost black color that is sort-of, but not too shiny.





Considering that a sewing machine  wasn't made as a family heirloom but as a functional machine for home sewers, the craftsmanship is amazing - all kinds of decorative details.


I experimented with the top.  I wanted a matte, chalky finish but didn't want to spring for chalk paint. I have used Annie Sloan chalk paint and liked it, but not sure it was worth the cost.  Since this was a small project, I used a flat white paint and finished it withe Minwax.   Honestly, I can't tell the difference in this knock-off chalk finish and the real deal.

A bit of sanding to add some distressing and done.


Decorative detail on the sides of the table.


The drawers are beautiful !  I had planned to paint them, but couldn't bear to cover up all that detail.  I  did have to refinish them because the liquid sander I used to clean them up bubbled the old varnish.  Then I had to strip off the bubbly mess and of course the color came with it.   Some new stain and wax  brought them back to life.





Thank you, frugal Yankee women for taking good care of this gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Normal Title Italic

Follow Me on Pinterest

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS