Finally finished this small canvas. Like many of my projects, this one ended up far from my original plan. I started out full of hope - glued down some wooden arrows, including a stir- stick from our stay at the Bellagio, and covered it all with a coat of gesso.
Then things veered off track quickly. I sprayed on some Dylusions ink , then some Distress inks. The color wasn't right, so sprayed on some water. Lesson - all those water-based sprays react with water and the color washes away. After several spray, blot, spray cycles, I wasn't happy with the colors/ coverage and the canvas went into Witness Protection.
Last week I brought it out and learned an important lesson - sometimes you just have to plow through the bad stuff. I dabbed on some acrylic paint, added some white stenciled text and black paint splatters.
I glued down some torn pieces of Ideology Melange tissue paper by Tim Holtz . This paper has a smoother finish than regular tissue paper and doesn't tear easily. I love the graphic and the transparency that allows base colors to show through.
I tried a new to me technique using Distress Crayons to make the blue splatters around the butterfly. Load a paintbrush with water , and while holding the crayon close to the canvas, flick the brush across the crayon. This makes finer specks than paint and a fan brush and also allows better control. I was able to go all around the butterfly , making an outline of blue splatters. There is the added benefit of some waxy texture along with deep color.
Of course, some projects that go off the rail end up in the trash. Sometimes nothing can save a disaster, but I'm glad this canvas was a rescue success.