Saturday, February 13, 2010

Is it wrong to love an iron?


Let's be clear - I hate ironing and do as little as possible. About the only thing I iron are the Captain's shirts. Everthing else gets one of three treatments: wear as is, back into the dryer for another pass (I know it's pitiful), or a generous spray of Downey wrinkle releaser. My youngest son knew the system - he'd come out dressed for school, pull his wrinkled shirt tight and say "spray me".

However, I do some ironing for my paper arts - pressing snips of ribbon, flattening crumpled paper, or the fantastic faux embossing technique that requires "ironing" off embossing powder. Consequently, my iron often get goobered up with bits of glue, embossing powder, and even paint. Clearly I should be using a different iron for my projects !

I was wandering around the thrift store this week and came upon this little vintage beauty for $1.99! I found an outlet at the shop, plugged the iron in, and it actually worked !

A key to its age is on the enclosed registration card that says, "Attach 2 cents postage". Postage was 2 cents between 1952 and 1957 (no, I don't remember this, I looked it up!), so my little iron is over 50 years old!
I've had lots of irons - my last one a fancy digital affair that died within 3 months - fatal computer failure according to the manufacturer. So how did they make an iron (in Connecticut!) that still works, still looks fantastic, 50+ years ago? Quite an engineering and design feat from back-in-the-day.

I think this little iron and I have a bright future together.




1 comment:

  1. This is too cute! And a reminder that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" was actually the product of an age when things were built to last, rather than be upgraded. Happy trails with your new gadget!

    ReplyDelete

Normal Title Italic

Follow Me on Pinterest

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS