Sunday, April 18, 2010

Button stamping

I spent an afternoon at Barnes and Noble this week - cup of coffee, a treat, and a stack of art books and magazines for an afternoon of inspiration. I found an interesting book, Print and Stamp, by Traci Bunkers. She shows how to make stamps out of all kinds of crazy stuff - pencil grips, straws, flip flops ! Some of the stuff was a bit edgier than my style, but I was intrigued with a stamp made out of buttons. She stuck buttons onto a piece of wood with foam tape. A variation was done by pressing button into PenScore.
The first sample above is the one with buttons mounted with foam tape on a little strip of wood. I had trouble stamping with it - hard to get the ink onto the buttons - the book recommends keeping all the buttons the same thickness, which I did, but still didn't print all that well. I tried acrylic paint, brayering ink and just rubbing ink on the buttons - none of it spectacular. The bottom sample is that button "stamp" pressed into the PenScore and this worked much better. In the middle is another PenScore stamp - this time I just pressed buttons into the heated foam. Be careful with the foam - if it gets too hot, it hardens and looses the ability to take an impression.

Here are a few cards I made with my new "stamps". I love the grungy look of the buttons! The background is artist paper, the birdie cut from an old French book. The fabric scrap is a piece of worn canvas webbing I found on a beach walk and love the texture and worn green color.
And another - this one with a fun little leather flower.

I love this nature chair stamp and think it fits well with my grungy buttons. Think I'm going to attack the text piece with some tape a la Tim Holtz - don't really need "abhor" on the front - oops!!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book. I have some of the Penscore stuff and have not used it in ages. May have to go through my stash and see what I can impress into it and give it a try. Love the chair card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if you noticed, but the buttons look more like an over-exposed photograph of buttons than a stamp! How neat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! Love the stamp you made and thanks for sharing all the details of your experiments!!!

    ReplyDelete

Normal Title Italic

Follow Me on Pinterest

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS