Sunday, March 20, 2011

Meyer Lemons + New Tool = Lemon Madeleines

"Ok, here's the Thanksgiving menu so far: apple pie, pumpkin pie, blueberry tart, and ice-cream roll. What am I missing? ...Cake! We need cake."
- Debra Messing as Grace

I've shared many obsessions here - paper, stamping, shabby-chic do-overs, but not one of my most favorite - food.  How could I have neglected this most favorite preoccupation? 


Enter Meyer lemons - new to me.  I've read about them, of course - no fan of Martha can escape her love affair with Meyer lemons, but I've never had or even seen them.  Last week I found little bags of them at our grocery store - so cute!  While lots of people like citrus- flavored entrees, I'm not one of them.  I want my lemons sweetened and  baked with sugar into some tasty sweet - lilke Madeleines.  These lemons are less tart than the regular ones - perfect for desert!

I found a recipe over at Martha's (of course) - these are just a vehicle to deliver lots of butter, eggs and sugar, flavored with lemon and just enough flour to hold it all together. They are not on anyone's diet - there is probably a lower fat version that I should check out, but no amount of butter and eggs would be spared for my lovely little lemons.

 When I got to the part about lemon zest, I remembered the new microplaner I brought home from Montana.  Thank you, thank you  fellow shopper at World Market in Bozeman who told me to buy it!  Is it wrong to love a kitchen tool?  This thing is amazing - it makes very fine zest - nothing like the chunks I get with my old cheese grater.  

Aren't they lovely? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Normal Title Italic

Follow Me on Pinterest

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS