Back in LBDC (life before debit cards), I was pretty fussy about my checks and checkbook cover. Since I I hardly ever write checks anymore, my checkbook lives a lonely life in the bottom of my bag and looks like it - tattered pages, torn cover - not a pretty sight to haul out in public. It was in serious need of an intervention.
Check out this artist paper in the latest issue of Somerset Studio:
I always forget the "before" picture. I randomly stamped the green lace-y trim.
Then added some eraser-dots. This is the easiest was to make small dots - dip a new pencil eraser in acrylic paint and dot away! I sprayed a leftover piece of text page with Tattered Angels spray and punched out the flower. I cut the paper to fit my checkbook and folded the edges to make flaps to hold the checkbook inside.
Now to make the cover more durable - enter the pillow case bag dug out of my supply of saved bags:
I cut the bag to fit my paper cover ( with a little overhang to be trimmed after sewing) and clipped it to the right side of the cover to stabilize it for sewing. Note the professional sewing clips!
I zig-zag stitched the two together, then flipped the top and bottom folds to the inside and zig-zagged them to make the pockets to hold the checkbook.
I added some free-form stitching to stabilize the paper and plastic sandwich.
I love my new zero-cost cover! Now my checkbook can sashay out in public with pride.