Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chair Reupholstery DIY

A few summers ago, Boston Daughter and I found this little chair on the side of the road, free for the taking.
We had to haul it home in the back of our tiny car, tied down with a pair of capri pants !

I had big plans to recover it, but after removing hundreds of staples

and the worn denim fabric

the chair has been sitting in our bedroom, mocking me every time I see it:  "What were you thinking?  You don't know the first thing about upholstery"! 
One of my New Year resolutions is to finish some of the projects around here.   Time to address the bare naked chair.   I don't know anything about upholstery, but I figured whatever I could do would be way better than the exposed stuffing look.
I started by painting the wood an off-white and added some distressing. 
Then on to the scary part.  I saved the fabric pieces I had removed and used them as a pattern for the chair back and arms.  I just stapled the pieces onto the frame  and then hot glued on the trim to cover the staples..  I made a new seat from a pillow form - a bit fluffy, but I didn't want to recreate the formed box seat. 
The back was a bit of a challenge.  I wanted to just slide one piece of fabric down the back, but that wouldn't work, so I cut individual pieces and used my trusty bone folder to jam them into the spaces between the wooden trim.
I'm pretty happy with the results:


I love my new chair with its faux upholstery re-do. 


  1. You are so talented!!! And I too love a great find.

  2. It was worth the wait because it looks cool!


Normal Title Italic

Follow Me on Pinterest


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...