I've been wanting a new cover for my iPad . The one I have is fine - black pleather that is functional but not very exciting. Boston Daughter has a cover like this for her Kindle Fire - it looks like an old book. (Being her mother's daughter, she scrubbed it up a bit to tone down the gold and ramp up the vintage). I decided to find an old book and make my own cover.
It took some time to find a book that would work. First problem was size - the iPad is not a common book size, plus I didn't want one with too many pages as the iPad is pretty thin. Then came the aesthetics - I needed a hard cover book with an interesting cover. That leaves out most new books that have great paper covers, but the actual book covers are just plain.
I found just the thing at a great used book store in Maine. This is not your usual musty-dusty place - the proprietor told me every page of every book is wiped down with a special solution before it goes on the shelf . There were old - really old books here, books fro collectors with prices for collectors.
Boston Daughter in the stacks. She's standing in front of several thousand dollars worth of very old books.
I found this beauty for $20.00 Size - perfect. Cover art- perfect - score!
WARNING !! If you're the kind of person who thinks it's sacrilegious to cut up books, you should probably stop reading here because the next picture will send you into a tailspin.
Started by carefully cutting out the book pages by cutting along the spine - being careful not to cut through it. See? Nothing bad happened - no fire, no smoting, just the book guts separated from the covers.
I cut a piece of cardboard the size of the back cover and glued some mulberry paper over it. Then glued down some black elastic to hold the iPad in place. Then I added a small loop of elastic that will become part of the closure and glued the whole thing onto the inside back cover. I used E6000 to glue this down - any really strong glue should work. This is what holds the iPad in the book, so no wimpy glue for this step.
The Captain drilled a small hole in the front cover for the button closure. This fuzzy picture is a side view - I threaded some embroidery floss through the button holes, then tied a knot under the button to lift it off the cover a bit, pulled the threads through the drilled hole and glued them down to the inside of the front cover.
The inside of the front cover was blank, so I had already glued down a small opened file folder to add interest.
I glued a decorated envelope over the file folder and threads . This covers and secures the button threads and gives me a spot to stash papers.
This shows how the elastic cord holds the tablet in place.
Love my new cover!