Friday, April 25, 2014

Spring is Finally Here - A Journal Page to Prove It



It's finally starting to act like spring here in the frozen tundra that is New England.  We had the longest winter on record (it's true; I heard it on TV.)   Spring means growing and green and plants and warm weather.  

We're still waiting for sustained warmish weather, but we're getting there on the other two.   I love to rake in the spring when I can uncover things like this:

 Bleeding hearts

Love these little sedum rosettes


Grape hyacinths


Day lilies hugging a big granite rock

I started my new journal with a spring theme.  This page was inspired by Elaine Schmidt's talented work.   I love using text in my art and  how it shows through watercolors.  



This new journal will be challenging as the pages are much larger than the book I used previously.  It has the benefit of sturdy pages and the spiral binding means the book lies flat when opened.   

I used a blue watercolor wash for the background and them glued on the text strips.


In keeping with my challenge to put more markings on the page with my own hand, I drew the daisy and painted the petals with watercolor.   I cut the heart shape from some hand-stamped and colored paper.  The blue one is chipboard, colored with Distress Inks.  I am obviously in a white-dot phase.  I love how the dots add some pop.


I'm not sure where I got this stamp, but I love it.  I glued it onto a piece of the  acetate that comes with cling stamps. It seems a shame to toss that sheet with all the stamp images on it.   I did a rough rendition of the caught-in-crystal technique on the acetate sheet and chopped it up for accents. 

And yes, spring is a beautiful feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Normal Title Italic

Follow Me on Pinterest

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS