Monday, May 26, 2014

DIY Herb Markers ** Updated**




My herb pots needed identifying markers.  I came across a bag of old silverware while digging in the garage for my weeding gloves.    So stop the weeding and planting - we had a marker project emergency!



First step is to bang the spoons flat - easier than it sounds.  I started out with a rubber mallet that clearly didn't do it,.  Maybe you need Michelle Obama muscles to make it work.  Next up, a regular old hammer.  I wasn't able to get the spoons perfectly flat and without some hammer marks, but I'm good with the hammered metal look.   I pounded on both the front and back sides - it takes some serious pounding to get them at least this flat:



DC son bought a metal stamping kit for me and this was a first go at it .




You have to really pound hard on the stamp to make a good impression.  Think I was a bit too gentle on some of them - don't use the careful technique you'd use for rubber stamping - really pound on those stamps so yo get a deep, wide impression. Like rubber stamping, once you've made an impression, it's nearly impossible to line the stamp up again for a do-over.





I went over the letters with a black Sharpie to make the letters stand out.   Don't worry about getting marker on the rest of the spoon - just rub it off with a paper towel.  The ink stays in the stamped  impression makes the letters more visible.







This one was stamped on the handle .  The wobbly stamping adds something, don't you think?





I need some more practice with stamping on metal, but love my happy spoon markers.

UPDATE:

DC son was home this weekend and figured out how to pound the spoons flat.   I had pounded them on the workbench in the garage; he pounded them on a small flat anvil and , voila, flat spoon bowl!




This may be why Montana Daughter dubbed him "the helpful child".






Still need to work on the wonky stamping, but getting closer!

1 comment:

  1. Deb - These are amazing!! and how fun does that project look. Have you ever considered opening an Etsy shop? I would no doubt be your first customer :)

    ReplyDelete

Normal Title Italic

Follow Me on Pinterest

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS